Intermediate Pilates Exercises
Below each video you will find instructions on how to complete the exercise
These are all exercises that you can try from the comfort of your own home. If any equipment is needed, it will be listed below. For each exercise try to do 10 repetitions on each side.
Scissors - Level 2 (Progressing to Level 3)
How to complete scissors at level 2:
- INHALE to prepare
- EXHALE and slide one foot inwards towards the sit bones, and then float this leg into the tabletop position. INHALE and hold this position. EXHALE and slide the other foot inwards towards the sit bones, then float this leg into the tabletop position. This is now the double tabletop position.
- INHALE and hold both legs in this position.
- EXHALE and lower one leg to tap the toes on the floor, and hen lift back into table top position as you inhale.
- Repeat this on the opposite side, and then continue with alternate legs.
To progress to level 3, start from the single table top position, and as you lower the top leg from this position, simultaneously float the other leg into tabletop position. Your legs should scissor change at approx 45 degrees.
Hundreds - Level 3
How to complete hundreds at level 3:
- INHALE to prepare
- EXHALE and raise the left knee over the left hip into single leg tabletop position. INHALE to hold
- EXHALE to raise the right knee up to double tabletop position. Hold this position.
- Pulse arms up and down in a small arc of movement - INHALE for 5 reps, EXHALE for 5 reps.
- Lower one leg to the mat at a time.
Shoulder Bridge - Level 2
How to complete shoulder bridge at level 2:
For this exercise, you should remove your head cushion, and walk your feet an inch closer towards your sit bones. You can choose to squeeze a cushion (or a small ball-like is shown in the video) between your thighs.
- INHALE to prepare
- EXHALE and gently roll the lower back into the mat. Lift the tailbone upwards towards the ceiling and continue to peel your spine off the mat, bone by bone until you are resting on your shoulder blades.
- INHALE and hold the shoulder bridge position
- EXHALE and extend one leg forwards. reaching in a diagonal line in front of you. Your thighs should be parallel. INHALE and lower the leg back to the floor. Repeat this with the opposite leg
- EXHALE and lower the shoulder bridge by drawing the breastbone down towards the mat, continuing to peel your spine back down bone by bone until the tailbone connects with the mat and the spine returns to neutral.
Clam - Level 2
How to complete clam at level 2:
Starting in side lying with the underneath arm outstretched. You can place a cushion in between this arm and your head for comfort. The knees should be bent in front, however keeping heels in a straight line with the hips and shoulders. Draw the top hip away from you slightly, to create a small space between your waist and the mat.
- INHALE to prepare. Lift the feet into the air until they are roughly inline with the top hip.
- EXHALE and lift the top knee upwards, keeping the feet together and hips facing forwards
- INHALE and lower the top knee back down, keeping the feet off the mat.
- Repeat 10 times and then switch to do the same on the opposite side.
*To progress this exercise further (as shown in the video), at the top point of the clam, you can extend your knee to increase glutes activation. This movement should come from the knee and not the hip, so that when the knee is bent your leg should return to the open clam position.
Side Kick - Level 2
How to complete side kick at level 2:
- In side-lying, extend the top leg only. INHALE to prepare.
- EXHALE and lift the top leg to hip height, then glide this top leg forwards from the hip joint, keeping the leg lifted to hip height throughout the movement. The toes should be pointed.
- INHALE, flex the foot and glide the leg back into alignment with the trunk, leading the movement with the heel.
- Repeat 10 times, and then switch to the other side.